Mueller’s dozens of new streets honor a diverse cross-section of Austin leaders and legends symbolizing the city’s great history and distinct culture. Here are the stories behind the names of Mueller’s first streets.*
* Streets within or surrounding Mueller that existed before the community was developed and therefore were not named as a part of Mueller’s streets include: I-35, Airport Boulevard, Anchor Lane, Berkman Drive, East 51st Street, Lancaster Drive and Manor Road.
Roy Wilkinson Aldrich
Roy Aldrich served as a Texas Ranger from 1915 to 1947. His term of service at the time of his retirement was longer than that of any other Ranger. During his 32 years on the force, Mr. Aldrich became known in Texas academic circles for his interest in history and natural history. His collections of native flora and fauna and Texana found at his farm on Manor Road were famous throughout the state. The Aldrich farmland later became part of the Robert Mueller Municipal Airport and is today a part of Mueller.
Clifford Antone was the founder of Antone’s, Austin’s Home of the Blues, bringing the blues and soul legends of the 1970s to what became one of the premier blues clubs in Texas. Later, Mr. Antone expanded his nightclub to establish Antone’s Records, recording both live shows and studio sets. Mr. Antone had begun working with several social and educational organizations creating the “Help Clifford Help Kids” fundraiser for American Youthworks and forming the “Neighbors in Need” benefit in response to Hurricane Katrina. He also taught music at both The University of Texas at Austin and Texas State University in San Marcos.
Tom Attra, state boxing legend, was named National Golden Gloves Champion in both 1942 and 1945. Mr. Attra was also a four-time state light-heavy-weight champ and won the state TAAF (Texas Amateur Athletics Federation) crown five times achieving state pro champ. His pro record included 23 wins in 24 fights, 22 of them by knockout. After World War II, Mr. Attra was in charge of Austin American-Statesman street sales for the entire downtown area and was a familiar sight on Congress Avenue for more than three decades.
Barbara Jordan was elected to the Texas State Senate in 1966 and was the first African-American woman to serve in the state Legislature. In 1972, she became Texas’ first African-American member of the U.S. Congress since Reconstruction. In Congress, Ms. Jordan led efforts to expand the scope of the Voting Rights Act and became a national political star during the Watergate hearings. In 1978, she retired from electoral politics, moved to Austin and took a position as a professor at UT’s LBJ School of Public Affairs.
Genaro P. (G.P.) Briones
G.P. Briones, noted bricklayer and plasterer, built one of the most unusual buildings in Austin. The “Briones, Genaro P. and Carolina House,” also known as the “Casa de Sueños,” at 1204 East Seventh Street is constructed of almost entirely molded cement and is recognized for its original look and design. Mr. Briones constructed the home, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, starting in 1947 through the 1970s.
Calbraith “Cal” Rodgers
Cal Rodgers helped launch Austin’s aviation history in 1911 when he landed the Vin Fiz, a Wright Brothers biplane, during his transcontinental flight in a field at the site of the Ridgetop subdivision in the vicinity of 51st and Duval streets. The Vin Fiz was the first airplane to ever land in Austin.
Lorraine Fuentes Castro Camacho
Lorraine Fuentes Castro Camacho worked for the Austin Independent School District (AISD) Food Service Department at both Metz and Zavala elementary schools until she retired in 1979. She continued her involvement with youth as a volunteer at Metz, where she was affectionately known as “Grandma Camacho.” She was selected as the AISD Elementary Volunteer of the Year in 1991 and participated in the “Reading is Fundamental Program” at Metz Elementary School until her death. Ms. Camacho was very active in the political life of her neighborhood serving as one of the founding members of the East 1st Street Neighborhood Advisory Committee. In the 1970s she actively campaigned for Austin and Travis County’s first elected Mexican-American officials.
Lt. Claire Chennault
Lt. Claire Chennault, the famous General Chennault of the World War II “Flying Tigers,” was sent by the Army Corps at Kelly Field in San Antonio by petition of the Austin City Council to select the site most suitable for a municipal airport. Lt. Chennault recommended the Matthews Farm tract four miles northeast of downtown Austin later to become Robert Mueller Municipal Airport and now Mueller.
Eustasio Cepeda, spokesman for the Central Texas Latino community, moved to Austin in 1920 and for the next half-century served as a community leader. Mr. Cepeda organized “mutualistas,” mutual benefit societies for Latinos to help individuals survive economically, politically and socially at a time when there were few or no opportunities for employment, education or political power. He also helped people establish legal residency, become U.S. citizens, find employment and fight social injustice and poverty. Mr. Cepeda acted as Austin’s de facto consul before the city had an official Mexican Consulate.
Angelina Eberly is best known for her role in the 1841 historical farce known as the “Archive War.” Ms. Eberly is credited for firing the cannon that alerted Austin citizens to the attempted late-night record theft ordered by Sam Houston in an attempt to move the Republic’s government headquarters back to Houston. After hearing Ms. Eberly’s shot, a party of Austin residents retrieved the records and the seat of government remained in Austin.
Emma Long, a writer for the Austin American-Statesman, was the first woman to be a full-time member of the Texas Statehouse Press Corps. In 1948, Ms. Long became the first female city council member in Texas where she reactivated the Austin Parks and Recreation Board. She was also Austin’s first woman mayor pro tem and was later appointed by President Johnson to the United Nations Population Commission.
Gonzalo Garcia, a physician, was the first Mexican-American to set up a medical practice when he permanently moved from Mexico to Austin in 1915. After attending journalism classes at The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Garcia published La Vanguardia, one of Austin's first Spanish-language newspapers, with his wife. He helped establish Obreros Mexicanos, a workers' group and the local chapter of the Comisión Honoríficas Mexicanas, which represented Mexican nationals in the United States. As an active civic member, Mr. Garcia was also a leader in efforts to improve Brackenridge Hospital, a supporter of the building of the city library and advocated better educational opportunities for Mexican-Americans.
Max Gochman, founder of Academy Sports & Outdoors, moved his military surplus shop, then called Academy Super Surplus, from San Antonio to Austin in 1956 and expanded to four stores. His son Arthur continued to grow the business. Mr. Gochman was also a noted local philanthropist and in 1982, was awarded the Mayor Citation for Outstanding Service.
An associate professor and a long-time member of the University of Texas Government Department, Gordon Bennett was a specialist on the politics of China and Japan, as well environmental politics. Bennett was also very involved in the community, intent on bringing people from all areas, cultures and faiths together. Bennett was extremely influential in planning and conceptualizing what Mueller is today, serving as a member of the City of Austin Airport Advisory Board from 1989 to 1992. From the beginning, he recognized Mueller as a place where communities can come together, with parks and public spaces a central component. It is fitting that the hike and bike trail along the Southwest Greenway, adjacent to the Cherrywood Neighborhood Association where he served as president, be named in his honor.
John W. Hargis
John Hargis, valedictorian of his class at AISD’s Anderson High School in 1953, was the first African-American to receive an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering from The University of Texas at Austin. While at UT, Mr. Hargis established a chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, the national black fraternity, for which he was recognized as “Alpha Man of the Year” by the members at nearby Huston-Tillotson College. After retiring from his career in engineering, he returned to Austin and became involved in minority recruitment for his alma mater, and his successful efforts were recognized with an appointment as the special assistant to the president for minority affairs in 1986.
Hermelinda Rodriguez, who began her teaching career in the mid 1950’s, was one of the first teachers in the Austin Independent School District and was Austin’s first female principal and first Hispanic principal. Ms. Rodriquez was also one of the first in AISD to teach Spanish and advocate for bilingual education.
Ignacio “Nash” Hernandez
Born in New Braunfels and raised in Fredericksburg, Nash Hernandez, a trumpeter, developed his love for big bands rubbing shoulders with big band musicians during his service in the Army Air Corp during World War II. Settling in Austin with his wife, Minnie, Mr. Hernandez began working with other musicians as well as giving music lessons to neighborhood children. In 1949, Mr. Hernandez began The Nash Hernandez Orchestra initially comprised of all Hispanic musicians, many of whom were his students. As the success of the orchestra grew, he began to use his orchestra to help the Austin community, playing for free at fundraisers to benefit storm victims or those in need of funds for medical care. Eventually, he learned he could use his orchestra to boost the political campaigns of candidates he supported and believed would be most helpful to the Austin community and the nation.
Professor George Herzog was one of Austin’s most prominent musicians. He served as music instructor for the Blind Institute for five years. He also organized Herzog’s Orchestra that, by the 1880s, was entertaining Austinites with its “open air” concerts on the grounds of the State Capitol.
James Wheat, a freed slave, established the “Freedomtown” named Wheatville in 1869. Freed slaves bought small lots within the community that was located just northwest the city limits until it was absorbed by the City of Austin. Mr. Wheat was Wheatville’s first land owner after purchasing a plot at 2409 San Gabriel. Wheatville was home to several churches, a landmark grocery store and one of Austin’s first African-American schools.
Officer John Gaines, the only African-American officer on the Austin police force in 1913, was shot by deputy constable George Booth in downtown Austin that year. Constable Booth, who had been making a disturbance, shot and killed Officer Gaines while Officer Gaines was on the telephone summoning help from the police station. At that time, African-American officers were not allowed to arrest white offenders.
Neal Kocurek, dedicated to long-range challenges that required years of planning, served as the board chairman of Envision Central Texas until his death and was the president and CEO of St. David’s Health Care System and Foundation. He also founded Unitech Inc. and Radian International LLC. Mr. Kocurek had a profound role in shaping the direction of Central Texas and without him Austin would not have the St. David’s partnership, the Convention Center, the West Austin Youth Association, Envision Central Texas or the Austin History Center. Among the many awards he earned for his service to the community, Neal was awarded the Austinite of the Year award in 1989.
Col. Peter Lawless
Col. Peter Lawless, a pioneer Texas railroad man, served as agent for the International & Great Northern (I&GN) railroad for 50 years before resigning. Establishment of a free ward at Seton Infirmary was made possible by the bequest of several thousand dollars by Col. Lawless. He resided at the Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin from its opening in 1886 until his death and was a familiar figure in the lobby now being credited as the “friendly ghost” that haunts the Driskill.
George Washington Littlefield
George Littlefield, cattleman, banker and member of the Board of Regents of The University of Texas, organized the American National Bank in Austin in 1890, which was first housed in the Driskill Hotel. Mr. Littlefield eventually built the Littlefield Building for his bank. During his time on UT’s Board of Regents, he established and funded the Littlefield Fund for Southern History to collect archival resources to be used in developing American history textbooks for the university. Before oil money significantly increased his personal wealth, Mr. Littlefield gave more than any other single individual to the university during its first 50 years including benefactions such as the Littlefield Fountain, Alice P. Littlefield Dormitory, and his own home. Besides his banking business and land holdings, Mr. Littlefield took great interest in the issues affecting Austin.
Margarita Munoz Simon
Margarita Munoz Simon, the “Spanish Radio Queen,” broadcast to the Hispanic communities in Central Texas for 50 years working at every Spanish radio station in Central Texas. After moving to Austin, Ms. Simon and her husband established their own Spanish-language newspaper, El Democrata, a weekly newspaper in the 1940s. She was a founding member of Austin League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC,) the American G.I. Forum, PASO and a charter member of Mexican-American Business and Professional Women of Austin.
Mattie White, while relatively unknown until recently, was a pioneer of the arts in Austin’s African-American community. Ms. White founded Austin’s first private school for African-American girls at her residence in 1892 and was later employed to teach art at the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Institute for Colored Youth (later the Texas Blind, Deaf, and Orphan School), a position she held for more than 40 years. She also helped her husband organize the Travis County Emancipation Celebration Association, which led a drive to purchase land for a park in East Austin.
Frank McBee has been called the “godfather of high tech in Austin” and “dean of Austin high tech” for his achievements in the city’s well-regarded high tech environment. Mr. McBee helped found Tracor Inc. and managed its growth into Austin’s first homegrown company to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange. He also encouraged more than 20 former Tracor employees to start their own companies, fueling the development of this sector of Austin's economy. Mr. McBee studied engineering at The University of Texas and returned to teach mechanical engineering from 1946 to 1953.
John McCloskey, a professional baseball player, brought professional baseball to Texas by request of Austin businessmen and baseball fans after his Joplin, Missouri team challenged and beat the New York Giants in two games. Mr. McCloskey founded the Texas League in 1888 and managed the Austin team The Austin Baseball Club, later renamed the Austin Senators, which consisted of professional players he brought to Texas as the Joplin Independents.
Lt. John A. McCurdy
Lt. John A. McCurdy, commander of advanced cross-country and formation flying at Kelly Field in San Antonio, directed the first landings of military aircraft at Penn Field during World War I. After the Austin Chamber of Commerce purchased 150 acres that included a part of the St. Edwards University campus in 1917, Lt. McCurdy made a flight into the field and approved it for aircraft landing. Once the field was cleared of rocks and cornstalks, Lt. McCurdy began bringing in flights of twelve to twenty planes several times a week.
Consuelo Herrera Mendez
Consuelo Herrera Mendez was one of the first Hispanic teachers in Austin (there were Hispanic teachers in the 1880s and 1890s but not again until the mid-1920s when Ms. Mendez taught) and was a devoted worker for Mexican-American rights. Before teaching at Zavala Elementary School, Ms. Mendez taught at the Comal School, a segregated four-room house school for first and second grade Hispanic children. Along with her husband, she established the Zavala PTA and translated and wrote articles for the state PTA newsletter. Ms. Mendez served as president of the Ladies League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) #202 and as state chairwoman. She and her husband worked with LULAC from the 1940s through the 1960s on political campaigns and fund-raising for scholarships for Mexican-Americans.
Jose Ruben Moreno
Jose Moreno, who in 1974 helped start the San Marcos council of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and later the University of Texas council, served many positions with the national organization including district governor. In correlation with LULAC, he also participated in the G.I. Forum and worked with the Anti- Defamation League. Mr. Moreno was later involved in teaching citizenship classes and political education.
Robert Mueller was one of four Mueller brothers who left their mark on 20th century Austin. Mr. Mueller was elected city commissioner in 1926 and died in office just months later after falling ill at a city budget hearing. His friends and colleagues honored his contributions to the city when Austin’s new municipal airport was dedicated in 1928. The airport bore Mr. Mueller’s name until it closed in 1999. The name now lives on as the Mueller community.
Carl Ludwig (C.L.) Nitschke
C.L. Nitschke, a German immigrant, came to Austin around 1855 and eventually became the city’s most noted City Sexton. Mr. Nitschke held the position for a number of years, as did two of his sons. Together the three men served a total of more than sixty years.
Elias Olenick, Jewish businessman and shopkeeper, ran a clothing store just west of Congress Avenue and Sixth Street. On December 12, 1877 he was shot and killed by a disgruntled customer just outside the front door of his establishment, making him the first member of Austin's Jewish community to be murdered. The crime caused a local sensation and was written up in the “Cases Argued and Adjudged in the Court of Appeals of the State of Texas, Vo. VIII." Mr. Olenick is buried at Oakwood Cemetery, where his tombstone, one of the more unique, bears the inscription containing the word "murdered."
Charles Henry Page
Charles Henry Page established Page Brothers Architects in 1898 after working for his father’s construction business and apprenticing with several architecture firms. Mr. Page built many buildings throughout the state including several of Austin’s prominent buildings such as: Littlefield Building, Travis County Courthouse, U.S. Courthouse, the chapel/office at Oakwood Cemetery and numerous others. He also built several houses around the city but has received little recognition for his architectural style that helped create Austin’s unique look.
Michael Paggi, prominent nineteenth-century businessman, founded The Paggi Carriage Shop, a wagon and carriage dealership, in 1875 at 421 East Sixth Street. Prior to opening the dealership, Mr. Paggi was credited for being the first to bring ice to the citizens of Austin and, in 1872, he held the position of superintendent of the Austin Ice Company. At the same time, he also produced soda water, syrup and ice cream at a shop on Pecan (now Sixth) and Brazos Streets. Mr. Paggi’s Greek Revival plantation home on Barton Springs Road, which once served as an inn for travelers including Robert E. Lee, was later converted to the Paggi House restaurant. The building is the second oldest structure in Austin.
Sister Philomena Feltz
Sister Philomena Feltz, a heroine to families in Austin who needed help, came to Austin in 1932 to supervise the Diet Kitchen at the Seton Infirmary when she became aware of hunger within the community and began her famous “Soup Line,” doling out soup from the back door of the hospital. Eventually Sister Philomena moved into pastoral care and then remained in Austin working with the poor until 1992. For 60 years, Sister Philomena lived Seton’s mission of service and holds the record for the longest service by a Daughter of Charity in Austin.
Pauline Pinckney, born in Austin, began her career as an instructor of art at Texas Woman’s College (now Texas Wesleyan University). Ms. Pinckney had a great interest in research and writing about art history. Her best-known work “Painting in Texas: The Nineteenth Century” was, at the time (1967), one of the first of its type, emphasizing the relationship of Texas artists to their culture. Ms. Pinckney was very active in the Texas Fine Arts Association and spent most of her later life in Austin.
Robert L. Ragsdale
Robert Ragsdale owned and operated Ragsdale Flying Service that trained flight instructors and pilots for The University of Texas and St. Edward's University. In 1958 the business was renamed Ragsdale Aviation providing aircraft sales and service to general aviation and expanding to other Texas cities. A pilot and aviation pioneer, Mr. Ragsdale was also a philanthropist and active in civic affairs. He served as King Brio XI of the Austin Symphony League as well as a member of the Seton Northwest Development Board, original director and past president of the Austin Community Foundation, member and past director of the Austin Rotary Club, former Chairman of the Board of Austin National Bank NW and Director of Austin National Bank prior to the merger with NationsBank. He donated $3 million to St. Edwards University for the construction of a student center on campus and later provided portions of his estate, estimated at more than $2 million, to the University.
Robert Browning, Jr.
Robert Browning, a daredevil pilot, World War I veteran and aviation pioneer in Austin, ran one of the first companies to serve and train pilots in Central Texas. In 1939 Mr. Browning started Browning Aerial Service at University Airport, near The University of Texas, one of Austin's original fixed based operators. Browning Aerial trained several generations of pilots, held one of the first government contracts to train World War II fliers and ran regular charter services. The company was eventually moved to Robert Mueller Municipal Airport where it operated out of the now historic Browning Hangar until 1987.
Daniel “Danny” Ruiz
Danny Ruiz, born in East Austin in 1946, had a long and distinguished career as a public servant. Starting at a young age, Mr. Ruiz worked as a youth director and coach at the Salvation Army Youth Center during high school. Later, Mr. Ruiz worked with the Model Cities Program in Austin and eventually became the key Mexican- American leader in the state government, serving under Jim Hightower in the Department of Agriculture, Bob Bullock in the State Comptroller’s Office and Gary Mauro in the General Land Office.
Doug Sahm, who defined the Austin redneck rock scene, showed the world Texas music with his Sir Douglas Quintet in the 1960s and through his 1990s stint in the Tex-Mex supergroup Texas Tornados. His musical connections reached far beyond Texas taking part in sessions for two different Grateful Dead albums. Bob Dylan can be heard on Mr. Sahm's recording of “(Is Anybody Goin' to) San Antone” and younger groups such as Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt and The Gourds also recorded and performed with Mr. Sahm.
Norman Scales grew up in South and East Austin and was the first African-American pilot from Austin. In 1940, Mr. Scales enlisted in the United States Army and in a few years was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in class of the U.S. Military Single Engine Fighter Pilots of Tuskegee, Alabama. He flew more than 70 missions engaging in enemy fighting and was in charge of installation and maintenance of wire and radio signal communications. Mr. Scales was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross presented at Bergstrom Air Force Base.
Lemuel Scarbrough started his mercantile apprenticeship with his father in Austin at their store Scarbrough and Hicks, later to become E.M. Scarbrough and Sons. When the Scarbrough store was rebuilt at Sixth Street and Congress Avenue, it became the first department store in Texas to become fully air-conditioned. During his career as a merchant, Mr. Scarbrough served in New York City as a member of the board of directors of the National Retail Dry Goods Association and in 1926 was instrumental in the formation of the Southwest Research Association, a branch of the National Retail Dry Goods Association. Mr. Scarbrough also established the first chair of retailing in the School of Business Administration at The University of Texas and began the Lemuel Scarbrough Foundation, which gave financial aid to The University of Texas Dental School and the school’s M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute at Houston, as well as Seton and St. David’s hospitals in Austin.
Professor Julius Schütze was one of Austin’s most well known musicians in the 1850s. He assisted in the construction of the first organ for St. David’s Episcopal Church, provided piano lessons for Sam Houston’s children in the Governor’s Mansion and taught music at the J.B. Smith Female Institute.
Ada Simond held a career in teaching and public health until launching a new career as a writer sharing her experiences as an African-American. Ms. Simond wrote a series of children's books that chronicled the life of a fictional African-American family living in East Austin in the first half of the 20th century and in “Looking Back,” her weekly column in the Austin American-Statesman, she shared the history and heritage of the local African-American community. She was also a founding member of the W.H. Passon Society, a local historical organization devoted to preserving African-American history.
Father Edward Sorin
Father Edward Sorin, one of the first members and Superior General of the Congregation of Holy Cross founded in France, was sent to the U.S. to spread the ideals of Holy Cross education. Father Sorin traveled to Austin and founded St. Edwards University in honor of his patron saint Edward the Confessor and King. He then served as the first president of the university’s Board of Trustees. Father Sorin founded several other schools across the country including the University of Notre Dame.
Walter "Big Gil " Stromquist
“Big Gil” Stromquist, at six-foot, ten inches tall, was a noted Austin Golden Gloves Champion and then professional boxer, having fought in Madison Square Garden in 1943. Mr. Stromquist entered the nightclub business in 1955 opening Gil’s Club, one of Austin's most well known clubs for 27 years.
Isamu Taniguchi, raised in Japan and immigrating to the U.S. as a teenager, retired to Austin in 1967. Out of gratitude for his sons’ education at The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Taniguchi offered to create a Japanese garden for the City of Austin. With three acres in the Zilker Botanical Garden, Mr. Taniguchi created the Isamu Taniguchi Oriental Garden over an 18-month period with no more than one assistant at a time. With all plants and material donated from local nurseries, the gardens feature a series of ponds that spell “Austin” when viewed from the air, a 12-foot waterfall, a teahouse, a Half Moon bridge, a lotus pond with a miniature island, and extensive Japanese landscaping.
Jack Teaff was a long time motor transportation teamster on the streets of Austin. Mr. Teaff is most noted for his position as a bus driver after the Austin Transit Company transitioned from electric streetcars to motor/gasoline buses in 1940. He is representative of the long line of public transportation drivers who were a part of Austin’s transition from mule-drawn carriages to electric streetcars to what Capital Metro now operates today.
In 1933, Kenneth Threadgill, a country music lover and enterprising bootlegger, bought the service station he worked at and turned it into Threadgill's Tavern. After the repeal of Prohibition, Mr. Threadgill operated with the first beer license in Austin. The establishment was open 24 hours a day and gained fame as an after-hours hot spot where musicians working the dance hall circuit hung out. Threadgill's was still a popular hangout in the 1960s as university students, local residents and musicians including Janis Joplin discovered the Wednesday night sessions and joined in. The tavern is now Threadgill's Restaurant.
Paul Tilley, along with his brother Wesley Hope Tilley, was among the pioneers of filmmaking in Texas. The brothers owned Austin-based Satex Film Company, the only company manufacturing silent films south of St. Louis in the early 1910s and the first film company in the United States to make three-reel movies. The film company produced several features in Texas and Mexico, including "Their Lives by a Thread,” probably the first motion picture produced locally, which was shot at the Austin Dam.
Robert Thomas (Tom) Miller
Tom Miller, a politician and dedicated public servant, served as the mayor of Austin for two separate terms, first from 1933 to 1949 and again from 1955 to 1971. Mr. Miller used his Washington connections to bring benefits of many federal projects to Austin. Under Mr. Miller Austin received the first federal housing project, land was acquired for Bergstrom Air Force Base and Robert Mueller Municipal Airport, construction of the Lake Austin dam was completed, and public facilities such as playgrounds, libraries, parks and community centers were developed. He was also recognized for allocating funds to improve East Austin and his support of the African-American community, appointing a number of African-Americans to city boards.
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Stevie Ray Vaughan is credited with putting Austin’s music scene on the map and was one of the leading blues and rock guitarists of his generation. After forming a couple different groups, Mr. Vaughan eventually established Double Trouble in 1981, which attracted the attention of David Bowie. Mr. Vaughan played as a sideman with the Rolling Stones and Jackson Browne until recording his first solo album “Texas Flood,” which sold 500,000 copies and won two Grammy’s.
Zach Scott, a graduate of The University of Texas and Austin’s first widely known actor, began acting in local theatre before being discovered and moving to New York to appear on Broadway. In 1944 Mr. Scott was signed by Jack Warner to appear in the movie “The Mask of Dimitrios,” launching his movie career. His other acting credits include: “The Southerner,” “Midlred Pierce,” “The Unfaithful, Ruthless,” “Flamingo Road,” “Shadow on the Wall,” “Bandido” and “The Young One.”
Come on out and get to know Mueller. To get acquainted with the full vision for Mueller, please visit our information center, Mueller Central, located at 4550 Mueller Blvd. Click here for address and operating hours.
To download your copy of the Mueller Development Plan, click here.
For more information regarding Mueller's Design Book, click here.